Monday, February 25, 2008

The Untold Saga

The other day I found myself without pen in the lecture and I had to borrow it (how pathetic) from someone else. It wasn’t for the first time but this incident made nostalgia struck me like a seawave, the whole affair.... the intimate and one of a kind with the beautiful thing called PEN.

There have been myriad of experiences with the pen.
I was never a brand conscious or never cared to think of using any other colour then ubiquitous blue... Until one day when I was in class 9th when one of my teacher after so called analysis of my writing suggested to use a black pen... According to her, placing of words and distance between two words in my writing meant that I have lot of things running in my mind and I am not able to express myself and this kind of writing will look good in black....
I am still wondering what she meant by this but since then I am using only black pen....

There was a time in school when I tried all kinds and types of pens be it gel or ink or ball point, but finally I settled for ball point pen and that too only Mitsubishi black ( I know its a news for many people that Mitsubishi also makes pen.)
I am religiously using Mitsubishi pens for past almost 10 years. Its funny but I used to tell my friends in school childishly that if this company stops making the pen, I will stop writing....!! And still when I meet those friends they curiously ask me "Do you still use Mitsubishi black pen?" only to get a big smile from me....

One honest confession…. the secret is out now....
Not many people know this but I used to collect empty refills of my black pen.... I still have those.... and here I am laughing at it.... bizarre it was....

There is one more interesting aspect about me and my pens.... I keep losing them... I really hate someone asking me for my pen because noone bothers to return it.
My college library was one unforgettable place for me where I had lost more then 50 pens in 5 years and I used to wonder how to react when the librarian herself used to ask for pen....


After so much blabbering about pen, how can I forget the PENCIL....? NO matter who the person is, he or she must have had pencil in the hand at first attempt of writing in his or her lyfe.... The journey starts from here…. so all you educated, learned, intelligent people out there should express your gratitude towards pencil... Lolz...

I was shopping for books and landed up in stationary section of the store and out of curiosity bought one box of pencil because it’s been ages since I have bought a pencil. I used to take it from my cousins studying in school whenever I needed one so I never knew that simple thing like pencil have been hit so hard by inflation and became expensive...)

When I was in school there were two major brands of pencil, Natraj and Apsara... and I never liked Natraj because it came in red colour and preferred Apsara because of its black and silver colour. And I dint quite understood the technicality of types and kinds of pencils such as HB HP and what not... I preferred HP because to me it simply meant Hitesh Patel....

I still prefer writing with pencil wherever possible because I just love the sound of friction between graphite and paper while writing.... I can’t get enough of it....

Interestingly I never liked any sophisticated penpencil and enjoyed simple traditional wooden pencil and yes I hate pencil with eraser on top…. it looks ugly....
Pencil - A thin graphite stick covered with wood, as simple as that, right....? Wrong, as a small kid I used to wonder how the hell they put this black thing inside the wood.... Lols....

BTW have you ever wondered sharpening the pencil is an art and the waste that comes out as a result of sharpening can tell you lot about your skill and the quality of the pencil....

Isn’t it amazing.... what say......?

That’s it for the time being about this untold saga. Time for you to refresh the memories entwined around omnipresent pen and pencil in your lyfe.... meanwhile ill go and sharpen my pencil....

21 comments:

Free-Fallin' said...

interesting saga about u and your pens! mitsubishi makes pens?? cool !!
my favourite is the pencil too..i always use apsara 2B...gives writing a strong charactor.

reena... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
reena... said...

heyy cute saga!!! d reason for you to use HP is amazing!..well this one took me in my childhood days..n that time i used to have max 1 box of pencils..but now i own more than 10 boxes of pencils of diff grades.. :)

n as my field requires drawings all d time, for me, it has been ages since i have bought a pen. I take it from my dad whenever i need one :d

JIGNESH said...

its nice to luk back what gr8 thngz u hv lft in past ..!! but hv u wondered that the blog that u wrote had to be typed ...

so the wel known phrase "pen down ur thoughts" wil be replaced by "type down ur thoughts"


aftr goin thru dis wonderful piece of writing only thng that reminds me of is the fasinating magic penicl in shakalaka boom boom which i used to watch at one point of time ...

and to end here i hd actully heard of pen pals and not pen being a pal....

Comfortably Numb said...

he heh e!
nice reason to write a blog!
cheers!

test said...

i used to adore apsara beauty pencils for its attractiveness.. ur saga jus makes me say no to share ma pens wit no regret.. a cute saga f pens never told but ever felt

vanilla sky said...

lovely article!
i too used to like mitshubishi pens, but the blue ones, because their shade of blue was quite different
n yes! i too hate lending out pens , especially to guys , most of them are too careless to return!

ruchika said...

ok lemme first tell u that i've fetish for stationery
Neither can i lend nor borrow and a mitsubishi fan.
I wish u could give this to me in writing in black on a handmade paper i'll definitely frame it
and i'm not joking

ruchika said...

ok lemme first tell u that i've fetish for stationery
Neither can i lend nor borrow and a mitsubishi fan.
I wish u could give this to me in writing in black on a handmade paper i'll definitely frame it
and i'm not joking

Deepz said...

hehe..nice post man..too bad u always end up loosing pens..well i too like pencils..

test said...

read my latest blog dude..

Anonymous said...

I love the pencil too!!! Its so nostalgic!! It reminds me of all the nice things of my childhood!! Keep writing :)

Prem said...

heyy...dear gr8...i liked tat wat u wrote...!!!Even in my these days i love to write with it because of its sound...n tat lead me to my childhood,,where i used to refuse writting with pencil as very eager to write with pen...!!!Always used to say mom now i m not small plz....allow me to write with pen...but now wanna go back to my childhood where i used to refuse for pen...!!!Keep writing...!!!

Fly said...

stumbled upon ur blog n ur entry reminds me of something.
this - http://belowthesurfaces.blogspot.com/2007/09/who-flicked-my-pen-again.html

Kriti said...

what an idea to write about..

pens and pencils..we have been them since so long..

nice post

scintilla said...

Very interesting post... An untold saga about something so simple and integral to everyone's lives.

Keep writing :)
Thanx for commenting on my blog :D

Anonymous said...

hey...

u've dne sme nice writin on an otherwise ordinary object..good job!!

~Sanskriti

http://sanz360.wordpress.com/

happyz said...

As far as i know.. Mitsubishi makes bikes and cars... I dont even remember when did I last write something on a piece of paper(Not scribbling)...

Loosing pen is sucha common habit.. I am not yet used to it :D

Enjoyed your pens saga.. would love to know how many empty refill did you collect?

Lokesh Jain said...

HP... kool haan... Hitesh patel pens... i think u can open a pen factory or refilling business if u still have those empty refills... nice saga dude....

Anonymous said...

hey hitesh... for some reason this untold saga seemed to me very much told... coz i can relate to it a lot! for starters there was a time wen i too was hooked to mitsubishi pens (but blue ones)! and don't talk abt losing them yarr.... i still keep doing that. And that sound of friction... man u spoke my mind. that's why even i still prefer a pencil over a pen! Though my laziness of sharpening them has adapted me to use penpencils! :p

Anonymous said...

hey it was really nice to read this untold saga on pen and pencil....i went back to my schooldays...thanks